Monday, August 4, 2008

Heading Home

We spent the weekend at my mom's house in western Kansas (see previous rodeo lament) and, since our drive home was basically typical of EVERY trip we take that exceeds a 25-minute drive, I'll just cover the trip in photographs I took during the 6 hour journey to keep from going mad...
As usual, we start with a trip to the gas station for fuel and the sweet nectar of life (aka "Diet Pepsi)... Captain Nutrition is meeting his daily fruit allowance via fried pie as I snack on almonds...encased in chocolate and a colorful candy M shell...

Roobie despises the car and refuses all eye contact or interaction as she prays her way out of the backseat...

And Bean gives in to the automotive narcolepsy that will cause him to fall asleep within 30 seconds of the engine starting and remain unconscious until our arrival...

Approximately 20 miles into the trip I have finally adjusted all temperature control settings, Sirius radio stations and seat positions to meet my liking. We're driving my car, as it gets better gas mileage and driving a Matrix with two fluffy little dogs keeps my husband's testosterone levels in check.
I decide to offer up some engaging conversational topics.

"You know, Justin, this is a manual SIX-speed...I'd have it in highway gear by now."
"You know, Courtney, that is a RECLINING seat...I'd have you asleep in it by now."

The remaining photographs will be taken from the backseat. Barney has happily agreed to swap seats in order to take full advantage of his beloved cold wind machine.

Nutritional supplements to sustain me for the duration of the trip...


More musical chairs...Roobie has also relocated to the front, but I'm not taking it personally. She's antsy in the car and it comforts her to be able to stare up at her beloved, Justin.

Barney's comfy bottom also serves as a source of support...


Supper on the road...the only thing Barney feels is worth waking up for...this photograph was taken prior to his self-invitation to join me for a happy meal picnic...



Update: Safely home with three snoozing family members and one mad typist trying to wear off the hyperactivity directly related to the constant sugar intake of the last 6 hours...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

come on...where's our adoption update? I live for this stuff. What gives?